Bhagavad Gita Changes — Complete List
For the first time a complete computerized comparison of Srila Prabhuapda’s original 1972 Macmillan Bhagavad-gita As It Is and the current ISKCON “Revised and enlarged” edition is available. It is amazing, and surprising to see all the changes so clearly pointed out.
This is a side-by-side comparison of Srila Prabhuapda’s original Macmillan Bhagavad-gita As It Is (on the left hand side) and ISKCON’s “Revised and Enlarged” edition [on the right hand side].
The Macmillan edition comes from the Bhaktivdanta Vedabase 2003 and does contain some scanning errors, occasionally there are words that have characters in them that are incorrect. ISKCON’s Revised and Enlarged edition comes from the Bhaktivedanta Vedabase 3.1.
Because of the way the diff program we used works in some cases we had to make the format of the Sanskrit verses the same in both books, otherwise the diff program would go crazy. Often in the original editon a Sanskrit verse would be quoted on four lines and in ISKCON’s “Revised and Enlarged”edition it is only quoted on two [longer] lines. So to get a clear comparison we have made the Sanskrit verses on the same number of lines in both books. Also sometimes we had to break a paragraph or join a paragraph in one of the books, again so the diff program would give the proper output.
We have only compared the translations and purports for Chapter 1-18. For clarity we have not compared the word-for-word synonyms, even though there are a lot of changes in the synonyms.
Apart from any scanning errors and the slight format adjustments we had to make you will very clearly see all the changes that have been made between the two versions of Srila Prabhuapda’s Bhagavad-gita As It Is in a way that was never possible before.
- Bg 1: Observing the Armies on the Battlefield of Kuruksetra
- Bg 2: Contents of the Gita Summarized
- Bg 3: Karma-yoga
- Bg 4: Transcendental Knowledge
- Bg 5: Karma-yoga-Action in Krsna Consciousness
- Bg 6: Sankhya-yoga
- Bg 7: Knowledge of the Absolute
- Bg 8: Attaining the Supreme
- Bg 9: The Most Confidential Knowledge
- Bg 10: The Opulence of the Absolute
- Bg 11: The Universal Form
- Bg 12: Devotional Service
- Bg 13: Nature, the Enjoyer, and Consciousness
- Bg 14: The Three Modes of Material Nature
- Bg 15: The Yoga of the Supreme Person
- Bg 16: The Divine and Demoniac Natures
- Bg 17: The Divisions of Faith
- Bg 18: Conclusion-The Perfection of Renunciation
Be Sociable, Share!